Tension erupted on Monday in parts of the Ondo Central Senatorial District of Ondo State as gunshots disrupted the senatorial primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC), following the invasion of voting venues by suspected political thugs.
The violence reportedly occurred at Ward 5, Okelisa area on Amudipe Street in Akure, the Ondo State capital, where armed hoodlums allegedly attacked supporters of Senator Adeniyi Adegbomire, who currently represents the district and is seeking the party’s senatorial ticket.
Adegbomire narrowly escaped harm after gunmen allegedly opened fire near the venue and shot at his vehicle. The senator was swiftly evacuated from the scene by his security aides.
Eyewitnesses said the attackers fired sporadically into the air, causing panic among journalists covering the exercise, traders in the area, and pupils of nearby Ebenezer Primary School, who all fled for safety.
The assailants were also said to have wielded machetes while attacking voters and disrupting the ongoing counting process at the ward.
Speaking with journalists after the incident, Adegbomire condemned the exercise, describing it as “a complete charade” and alleging deliberate attempts to sabotage the primary process.
According to him, the election process had been progressing in his favour before the disruption occurred.
“I was at my ward, Okelisa Ward 5 in Akure South Local Government, for the APC Senate primaries,” he said. “Supporters had lined up and voting was ongoing peacefully. My supporters were counted and they were about 360.”
He alleged that violence broke out while officials were counting votes for another aspirant, Taiwo Fasoranti.
“When it became obvious that I was leading, thugs invaded the venue, shot into the air and shot at my car. They attacked people with machetes and disrupted the entire process,” Adegbomire claimed.
The senator further alleged that similar incidents were recorded across several wards within the senatorial district, accusing political opponents of using intimidation to prevent his supporters from participating in the exercise.
As of the time of filing this report, neither the APC leadership in the state nor security agencies had issued an official statement regarding the incident.









