Arise Television anchor, Oseni Rufai, has advised former President Goodluck Jonathan to reconsider any plans to contest the 2027 presidential election, warning that he risks being misled by political interests.
Rufai gave the advice on Wednesday during the Arise Television programme *Morning Show*, where he argued that some of those now encouraging Jonathan to return to the presidential race were the same individuals who opposed and politically undermined him during the 2015 election cycle.
His comments come amid renewed political speculation following reports that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), led by the Taminu Turaki-led leadership, granted Jonathan a waiver ahead of its presidential primary.
Speaking on the programme, Rufai said he had received messages suggesting intensified political lobbying for Jonathan to enter the race.
“I walked through the phone lines, and I got some messages from my sources. They are saying the plot is actually thickening, that some people are pushing you,” he said.
He cautioned the former president against yielding to pressure, alleging that some of the same political actors advocating for his return had previously opposed his presidency.
“But I’ve got word for President Jonathan today. Those that are pushing you were those that disgraced you in 2015. They were those that used the media arsenal against you. Those that are behind you now and are pushing you to run were the same that did not find you worthy in 2015,” Rufai said.
He added that while political pressure on the former president may be increasing, Jonathan should exercise caution in making any decision about a return to electoral politics.
“I know the pressure is much on you to run. They are pushing, they are doing everything, but please be careful. Don’t listen to them. They’ll lead you astray,” he added.









