Thu, 21 May 2026

 

Gauteng Police confirm arrest of suspect over abduction attempt
 
By:
Sat, 8 Jun 2019   ||   South Africa,
 

Gauteng police had on Saturday confirmed the apprehension of a 32-year-old suspect who has been apprehended in nexus with an attempt on the life of SABC chief audit executive Thami Zikode.

Police also recovered a firearm with ammunition and the suspects’ abandoned getaway car.

“The firearm was recovered at the scene and the getaway vehicle was recovered at Southgate,” Masondo said.

Captain Mavela Masondo reportedly said the police are still on manhunt after three suspects.

Zikode was shot at in his driveway on Friday night after being followed from his workplace in Auckland Park by the suspects.  He was unharmed in the assault.

SABC News reported that one of the suspects had been wounded when Zikode had returned fire.

The SABC expressed shock on learning about the abduction attempt.

“The SABC is grateful that Mr Zikode was unharmed,” said SABC spokesperson Vuyo Mthembu.

EWN said it was believed that the SABC executive was working on a forensic probe, thereby, the broadcaster said the motive for the shooting was vague.

 

Tag(s):
 
 
Back to News