Tue, 19 May 2026

 

Kenya president sends entire Cabinet on break
 
By:
Sat, 15 Aug 2020   ||   Nigeria,
 

NAIRAOBI- Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta has granted all members of his Cabinet and their secretaries a 11-day working recess starting Monday, August 17.

Chief administrative and principal secretaries were also directed to proceed on compulsory recess with information indicating the Cabinet will hold its next meeting on September 3.

Head of Public Service Joseph Kinyua, however, said the Cabinet members will not be exempted from conducting site visits to check progress of the ongoing government projects.

"During the working recess, members of the cabinet will still be required to undertake their ministerial portfolio responsibilities and attend to any presidential engagements arising from or ancillary to their ministerial mandate," stated Kinyua.

During the period, Kinyua explained all Cabinet committees and technical committees will not hold any official engagements unless directed by the president in case of an emergency.

Members of the Cabinet who would wish to take leave during the recess will have their applications approved by the head of state.

“Members of the Cabinet shall be allowed to take leave from office, subject to prior approval of the president and receipt of Presidential clearance with respect to any travel by the member of Cabinet to any destination outside of the territory of the Republic of Kenya," he added.

The memo was dated August 12, the same day Uhuru vowed he will fulfill all his pledges that he made during his campaigns.

The president spoke at the KICC in Nairobi when he presided over the issuance of 2,100 title deeds to landowners in Nairobi county.

"I will deliver on my pledge. I will deliver on my promise," he assured.

It was not clear what necessitated the directive, and whether or not Uhuru intended to restructure his government.

There had been talks of an impending Cabinet reshuffle which according to Kapseret MP Oscar Sudi was not a matter of if but when.

The second-term MP claimed the reshuffle had already been done but the names were yet to be made public.

"We know that they are done constituting a Cabinet reshuffle.  Even though there is nothing going on in the ministries, I even wonder what will the picked ministers be doing with everything stuck. Anyway let them release the names, we are fine with it," said Sudi.

 

Tag(s):
 
 
Back to News