IPOB
Some Igbo socio-cultural organizations have expressed displeasure over the killing of members of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) by security agencies.
Recall that the Department of State Security, Nigeria police force, and the Indigenous People of Biafra clashed on Sunday with the incident leading to the death of some IPOB members who were said to be in a prayer meeting in Emene area of Enugu State.
About ten persons were allegedly killed, but the casualty figures had been controversial as the police claimed that only four people were killed while IPOB group claimed that 21 of their members were killed during the incident with 47 members were arrested.
The DSS had reported that two of its operatives were killed.
The Association of South-East Town Unions (ASETU) yesterday condemned the killings saying that it was wrong for security operatives to open fire on unarmed civilians.
ASETU, in a statement on Monday by its National President and Secretary, Chief Emeka Diwe and Chief Gideon Adikwuru respectively, appealed to the Federal Government to set up a judicial panel to uncover the immediate and remote causes of the incident as contained the statement titled, ‘We condemn the killing of unarmed civilians on Sunday in Enugu; security forces must observe rules of engagement.’ It read in part,
“We are deeply worried over the gory images and videos of the bodies of unarmed civilians alleged to be members of pro-Biafra groups, reportedly shot dead by security agencies and littering the streets of Emene in Enugu State.
“It is further perplexing that despite the deafening hues and cries from our people over the killings, rape, destruction and havoc against us by Fulani herdsmen, there has never been any clash between the herdsmen and security agencies, neither have the agencies demonstrated any seriousness in tackling the problem.
“No progressive nation thrives on double standards and injustice. We reject completely the killing of Igbo people, no matter the pretext or guise under which it occurs.
“We, therefore, call on the Federal Government to promptly set up a judicial panel of inquiry to ascertain the causes of the massacre in Enugu, and urge both the pro-Biafra agitators and security agencies to apply restraint, civility, professionalism and respect for human lives in all their activities.”
In one voice accord with the earlier mentioned group, another group, the Nzuko Umunna, also called for a coroner investigation into the killing as expressed in a statement on Monday by its Coordinator, Ngozi Odumuko, Nzuko Umunna who noted with grave concern that the constant killing of unarmed Igbo youths by security operatives is unacceptable and must come to a stop.
Also in the statement titled, ‘Press Statement by Nzuko Umunna on Extrajudicial Killings at Emene, Enugu State,’ the group urged the Enugu State Governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, to set up a judicial panel of inquiry “to unravel the immediate and remote causes of the needless killings, including the exact number of victims affected in order to bring the perpetrators to justice.
Meanwhile, commercial bus drivers in Enugu State yesterday withdrew their services in protest against the killing of their members.
The situation disrupted the free flow of commercial activities in the state as residents became stranded at various locations in the state capital, while some other business premises were locked up. Some affected routes were buses plying ESBS – New Layout road, Ogui -Obiagu Road, Obiagu – New Haven road, Emene – Old Park road, among other routes.
Some security operatives, made-up of police, the DSS, Nigerian Security, and Civil Defense Corps conducted a show of force around state capital and suburbs and when contacted, the State Police Public Relations Officer, Daniel Ndukwe, said he was in a meeting, promising to find out the reason behind the protest.
However, the National Director of Information for the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra, Mr. Sunday Okereafor, refused to comment on the killing of IPOB members as he said:
“They (those killed) are IPOB members. But I don’t want to speak on IPOB. IPOB has a spokesman; so, I don’t want to speak on their issue. Let them (IPOB) carry their cross; we are carrying our own cross.”









