Tue, 19 May 2026

Soyinka

Soyinka says our nation is a crumbling edifice that is still generously called Nigeria
 
By:
Tue, 15 Sep 2020   ||   Nigeria, Nigeria
 

Elder statesman and playwright, Prof Wole Soyinka said the Nigeria is more divided now than ever before under the current administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.

In a statement signed from Soyinka’s Autonomous Residence of Ijegba, Idi-Aba Estate, Abeokuta, Ogun State, on Tuesday titled, “Between ‘Dividers-in-chief’ and Dividers-in-law,” he said although he is not a fan of ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo, but agrees to any accurate speculation of Nigeria as a contraption tottering on the edge of total collapse.

 

Recall that Obasanjo had last week said the country was slowly becoming a failed state and more divided under the Buhari regime. But the presidency reacted to the comment by describing the ex-president as a ‘Divider-in-chief.”

 

In his words, Soyinka said, “I am notoriously no fan of Olusegun Obasanjo, General, twice former president and co-architect with other past leaders of the crumbling edifice that is still generously called Nigeria. I have no reasons to change my stance on his record. Nonetheless, I embrace the responsibility of calling attention to any accurate reading of this nation from whatever source, as a contraption teetering on the very edge of total collapse. We are close to extinction as a viable comity of peoples, supposedly bound together under an equitable set of protocols of co-habitation, capable of producing its own means of existence, and devoid of a culture of sectarian privilege and will to dominate.”

 

Soyinka stated that on Africa Day, May 2019, organised by the United Bank of Africa, he similarly seized an opening to draw the attention of this government to warnings by the ‘Otta farmer’ over the self-destruct turn that the nation had taken. His words: “That advice appears to have fallen on deaf ears. In place of reasoned response and openness to some serious dialogue, what this nation has been obliged to endure has been insolent distractions from garrulous and coarsened functionaries, apologists and sectarian opportunists.

 

“The nation is divided as never before, and this ripping division has taken place under the policies and conduct of none other than President Buhari - does that claim belong in the realms of speculation? Does anyone deny that it was this president who went to sleep while communities were consistently ravaged by cattle marauders, were raped and displaced in their thousands and turned into beggars all over the landscape? Was it a different president who, on being finally persuaded to visit a scene of carnage, had nothing more authoritative to offer than to advice the traumatised victims to learn to live peacefully with their violators? And what happened to the Police Chief who had defied orders from his Commander-in-Chief to relocate fully to the trouble spot – he came, saw, and bolted, leaving the ‘natives’ to their own devices. Any disciplinary action taken against ‘countryman’? Was it a spokesman for some ghost president who chortled in those early, yet controllable stages of now systematised mayhem, gleefully dismissed the mass burial of victims in Benue State as a “staged show” for international entertainment? Did the other half of the presidential megaphone system not follow up – or was it, precede? – with the wisdom that they, the brutalised citizenry, should learn to bow under the yoke and negotiate, since “only the living” can enjoy the dividends of legal rights?”

 

 

Tag(s):
 
 
Back to News