Youths on Tuesday, despite the ban on protests throughout the state by Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, on Monday, have continued their protest against police brutality and extortion in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
The protesters said they defied the directive because the youths cannot continue to be killed without them protesting.
CEO Africa’s correspondent learnt that they converged opposite Pleasure Park Port Harcourt around 08.45am to resume the protest.
While some of the protesters were seen with placards with various inscriptions like “We are tired of dying”, and “Protest is our right”, others chanted “EndSARS”.
“We are protesting against people that are killing us and you are asking to stay at home, how come? We are harassed and treated like criminals every day,” one of the protesters said.
A policeman at the scene of the protest appealed to the youths to be peaceful.
Earlier, CEO Africa had reported that Rivers State Governor , Nyesom Wike had banned the planned #EndSARS protest billed to be staged in Port Harcourt on Tuesday.
In a statement Monday night, by Paulinus Nsirim, information commissioner, Wike announced that his government has banned all forms of protests throughout the State.
“Therefore, all proposed protests under #EndSars Campaign are hereby prohibited.
“Government took this decision because the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, had already scrapped the Special Anti-Robbery Squad.
“Therefore, there is no need for any form of protest against a Unit of the Police Force that no longer exists.
“Parents and Guardians are therefore advised to ensure that their children or wards do not violate this order.
“Law enforcement agencies are also directed to ensure that the ban is enforced and that violators are brought to book”.









