Thu, 21 May 2026

 

INEC , says Obaseki ‘Lied’
 
By:
Fri, 27 Dec 2019   ||   Nigeria,
 

 

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Friday said there was no plan to conduct a fresh election to fill 14 vacant seats in the Edo State House of Assembly.

This is contrary to Edo State Governor Godwin Obaseki’s claim that INEC will soon hold the election.

National Commissioner and Chairman Voters’ Education and Information Committee, Festus Okoye, told The Nation: “The Commission has not taken any decision concerning the declaration of vacancies by the Edo State House of Assembly.

“When that is done, it will be communicated. It is the sole responsibility of the Commission to fix dates and conduct elections.”

Rotimi Oyekanni, Chief Press Secretary (CPS) to INEC Chairman Prof Yakubu Mahmoud, added that no such decision has been taken.

He said: “To the best of my knowledge, the last meeting of the Commission was on December 19 and no such decision was taken.

“Traditionally, the Commission issues a statement whenever it decides to conduct an election.

“I am not aware of any decision to that effect.”

While addressing All Progressives Congress (APC) members from Owan East and West Local Government Areas (LGA) in Sabogida-Ora, Owan West, the governor said INEC had been notified of the vacancies and that the election will soon hold.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Friday said there was no plan to conduct a fresh election to fill 14 vacant seats in the Edo State House of Assembly.

This is contrary to Edo State Governor Godwin Obaseki’s claim that INEC will soon hold the election.

National Commissioner and Chairman Voters’ Education and Information Committee, Festus Okoye, told The Nation: “The Commission has not taken any decision concerning the declaration of vacancies by the Edo State House of Assembly.

“When that is done, it will be communicated. It is the sole responsibility of the Commission to fix dates and conduct elections.”

Rotimi Oyekanni, Chief Press Secretary (CPS) to INEC Chairman Prof Yakubu Mahmoud, added that no such decision has been taken.

 

Tag(s):
 
 
Back to News