Tue, 19 May 2026

 

State Pardon granted to Funke Akindele will not stop lawsuit against Lagos State, says lawyer
 
By:
Sat, 10 Oct 2020   ||   Nigeria, Lagos State
 

Lawyer and activist, Olukoya Ogungbeje, has said the state pardon granted to actress, Funke Akindele and husband will not make him desist from pressing further with the lawsuit he filed against the Lagos State Government.

Funke Akindele, alongside her husband, Abdulrasheed Bello, aka JJC Skillz, had been convicted and sentenced to community service in April for holding a crowded house birthday party in breach of the government’s COVID-19 prevention protocols.

Although the couple had served their punishment, Ogungbeje had gone to court to challenge the constitutionality of the Lagos State law that had the couple and other residents arrested for flouting COVID-19 guidelines.

The lawyer is, praying the court to invalidate the Lagos State law and nullify the conviction of everyone tried under the law.

Meanwhile, reacting to the Lagos state government pardon granted Akindele and husband, he insisted that the move was preemptive of his lawsuit coming up for hearing on October 13.

He said, “They know the case we filed is coming up on Tuesday, so the government quickly pardoned them today (Friday). They have agreed with us after all, that the process was flawed. They had seen the handwriting on the wall.

“It shows that we must continue to hold government accountable but that doesn’t stop us from continuing our case because other people are involved. This will not stop our case, which has been fixed for Tuesday.”

 

Tag(s):
 
 
Back to News