Monday 6th December 2021: The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Muhammad Bello, has declared that the recent abduction at the University of Abuja was a well planned attack with the intention of attracting publicity by the perpetrators.
Recall that last month, gunmen kidnapped six persons, including two professors, a deputy registrar and three family members, during an early morning raid on the university’s staff quarters.
The victims were later released by the abductors after demanding a ransom.
The FCT minister who made this known in a statement on Sunday by his Chief Press Secretary, Anthony Ogunleye, stated that the crime was carried out to raise doubts on the security in place in the nation’s capital.
According to the statement, the minister said this when he received members of the Governing Council of the University of Abuja, led by its Chairman and Pro-Chancellor, Prof Ahmed Muhammed, during a courtesy visit.
The statement titled, ‘FCT minister cautions against building without proper approvals within the territory,’ also read in part, “Speaking on the recent kidnap of some staff of the university by armed men, the minister commended the university authorities, especially the Vice-Chancellor, Prof Abdul Rasheed Na’Allah, for the roles they played in solving the crime.
“He said the kidnap attempt was a well-planned attack targeted at the city of Abuja and it was the intention of the criminals to get maximum publicity owing to the strategic nature of the city and raise doubts as to the security situation within the nation’s capital.
“As a result of cracking that case, the minister added that several other planned attacks were prevented from being executed.”