Fresh details have emerged on how operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) tracked and arrested former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, in Kaduna State following weeks of surveillance and intelligence operations.
Mamman, who was recently convicted on 12 counts bordering on money laundering and fraud involving N33.8 billion, was apprehended alongside two individuals accused of harbouring him while he allegedly evaded arrest.
The former minister’s conviction is linked to the diversion of funds earmarked for the Mambilla and Zungeru hydropower projects. A Federal High Court in Abuja last week sentenced him in absentia to 75 years imprisonment after he failed to appear before the court.
Sources within the anti-graft agency disclosed that EFCC operatives immediately launched a coordinated manhunt after the judgment was delivered. According to the sources, investigators intensified surveillance efforts and eventually traced Mamman through his mobile phone signals to an apartment in the Rigasa area of Kaduna State.
“Immediately after the judgment, operatives activated an extensive search operation following weeks of intelligence gathering and surveillance. He was eventually tracked through his phone and arrested in Rigasa, Kaduna. Two persons suspected of harbouring him were also arrested,” a source within the commission revealed.
The EFCC formally confirmed the arrest during a press briefing in Abuja on Tuesday.
EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, disclosed that Mamman was arrested at approximately 3:30 a.m. in Kaduna, describing the operation as a strong indication of the Federal Government’s determination to sustain the fight against corruption.
According to Olukoyede, the commission secured conviction on all 12 counts after about 15 months of prosecution, but sentencing was initially delayed due to the defendant’s absence in court.
“On the 13th of this month, the court sentenced him in absentia. Following that judgment, we intensified intelligence and surveillance operations across several locations until he was eventually apprehended in Kaduna,” Olukoyede stated.
He added that the arrest sends a clear message that individuals accused or convicted of misappropriating public funds would be pursued irrespective of where they attempt to hide.
“The EFCC remains committed to ensuring that anyone who diverts public resources is brought to justice. There is no hiding place for economic and financial criminals,” he said.
Addressing questions regarding Mamman’s continued stay in EFCC custody, Olukoyede explained that arrangements were underway to transfer the former minister to the appropriate correctional facility in compliance with the court’s directive.
He further disclosed that investigations were ongoing into the two individuals arrested alongside Mamman, noting that preliminary findings suggested the former minister had been shielded from arrest for some time.
Also speaking at the briefing, Director of Public Prosecution, Rotimi Oyedepo, said the court had directed all relevant security agencies to ensure the enforcement of the judgment and facilitate the convict’s transfer to a correctional centre.
Oyedepo noted that the operation underscored improved collaboration among security agencies in enforcing court decisions and tracking fugitives.
Olukoyede also revealed that the commission would review its monitoring procedures for high-profile suspects undergoing trial in order to prevent future attempts to evade justice.
According to him, the EFCC is considering enhanced surveillance measures for defendants facing corruption-related charges, stressing that it is not in the national interest for individuals standing trial to abscond.
The EFCC chairman added that investigations would be expanded to include additional properties and assets allegedly linked to the former minister, noting that fresh discoveries had already been made.
He warned that any person found to have aided or harboured a convicted fugitive would face prosecution in accordance with the law.









